Do you ever get tired of pasta?
True, it can be prepared a number of ways. With tomato sauce, with cream sauce, with fresh pepper and parmesan or served with vegetables.
But I turn to pasta so often. So here’s my answer when you want and don’t want pasta for dinner.
But not just any gnocchi. For this dish I add green peas and bacon (veggie bacon). For seasoning, herbs de provence.
A touch of lemon brightens the dish, the veggie bacon a touch of salt, the herbs a delicate French taste and a handful of uncooked green pea sprouts adds a subtle touch at the end.
This dish is actually very straight-forward. Cooking the frozen peas with water and a pinch of salt in a Pyrex is super-fast by using low power in the microwave. The gnocchi takes just a few minutes to cook, just enough time to cook the sauce and veggie bacon.
- Two packages gnocchi, about 32 oz total
- 2 cups cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 lemons
- 1 tbsp herbs de provence
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 cups frozen green peas
- 10 strips veggie bacon
- 1 cup green pea sprouts (optional)
- Set water to boil in a large pot. Pour 2 tbsp of canola oil in a skillet to cook the bacon. Pour 2 tbsp olive oil in a small saucepan with the clove of garlic on low.
- Place the peas in a larger glass container and fill with water to the top of the peas and add a pinch of salt. Cook in the microwave on low power for 2-5 minutes, depending on your microwave. Check often to make sure the peas do not overcook.
- For the sauce, only simmer on low. Once the garlic and olive oil have heated for a minute, add the cream, lemon zest and juice, salt and pepper and herbs de provence.
- When water boils, cook the gnocchi for just a few minutes, until the pieces all float to the surface. Cook the veggie bacon according to the package instructions.
- Mix all ingredients, except for the parmesan and fresh green pea sprouts. When plating, add the sprouts and cheese on top.