For the summer, or when you want to pretend its summer, Mexican lasagna is a perfect answer on what to make for dinner.
Cheese, peppers, onions, veggies and tortillas. Then top it all off with chips, avocado, salsa, fresh lime and a drizzle of honey cream.
This is the same dish I made for my best friend when she brought her newborn baby girl home. In those cases, bake it for 20 minutes at home to set it – transport it in a warm-safe bag and then finish baking it off for another 30 minutes at your destination.
This dish may look like its just loaded with carbs and cheese. But (shhhh!) don’t tell your family it’s also packed with veggies and protein. You see, under all those gooey layers and toppings this lasagna is hiding quinoa and zucchini. Feel free to throw in your family favorite veggies instead – yams, corn and kale would all be delicious additions.
Just don’t forget the toppings – especially the honey cream.
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 can hatch chilis (optional)
- 1 cup shredded jack cheese
- 9 corn tortillas
- 2 yellow bell peppers
- 1 white onion
- 4 zucchini
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp honey or agave syrup
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Chop the onions and sauté over low heat with garlic and 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- While onions cook, chop bell peppers and hatch chilis if you like and add to the pan.
- Chop zucchini and sauté over medium heat with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook zucchinis until starting to soften and the edges are a medium golden brown. Cook peppers and onions until translucent.
- Lightly oil a casserole dish or cast iron oven. Quarter the corn tortillas using scissors. Assemble the lasagna. Lightly layer in this order: peppers and onions, zucchini, quinoa, cheese, tortillas. You should have enough for three layers. Finish all the layers with an extra sprinkle of cheese.
- Bake the lasagna for about 45 minutes, or until the cheese is a bubbling golden brown.
- Whisk together the Greek yogurt with honey or agave syrup as a topping.